Saturday, May 19

RAMSEY, Cambridgeshire, UK.

On Friday the sun shone and I managed to get out for a while with my sketchbooks. I visited Ramsey where I took a stroll through the shops on Great Whyte before heading towards Rendezvous cafe in The Mews for a bite to eat. The long and very wide street known as Great Whyte was originally an open waterway connecting with Bury Brook. In 1852 a tunnel was constructed, this was inadequate to cope with floodwaters and so in 1854 two additional culverts were added. Today, the street is divided down its centre by a raised pathway.



I decided to sit at one of the tables outside the cafe and managed to capture a few small sketches between mouthfuls of food and coffee.

Saint Thomas Becket is a beautiful church dating from about 1180 and, unlike many churches, it is always open to the public. I was fortunate enough to have the whole church to myself on Friday afternoon.






I finished with a quick sketch of the former spinning school before making my way back home.

10 comments:

Jenny said...

Wow! That a wonderful collection of sketches. You had a great day!

Anita Davies said...

Thanx Jenny!

Anonymous said...

What a productive day you had! Great sketches.

Anita Davies said...

Thanks Dave!

Lynn said...

Those are beautiful sketches. What a great way to remember a great day.

Anita Davies said...

Thankyou Lynn. I was just so pleased to be able to get out with my sketchbooks after what seemed like a lifetime of rain!

Robyn Sinclair said...

I love this group of sketches, Anita. The church is particularly appealing and brava for your fine arches!

Anita Davies said...

Thankyou Robyn, I liked how the church sketch came out too. I love churches, always have, no idea why I haven't included them in my work so far...Hmmm, something to chew on!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous sketches. Your blog is like taking a virtual tour of places I know I will never get to see in person. Thanks for sharing!

Anita Davies said...

Phthaloblu, that is wonderful to hear...Thankyou so much!