Thursday, July 19

HOLBEACH, Lincolnshire. UK



A necessary trip to Holbeach, to get my truck serviced, produced this rapid sketch today. The journey takes me approx. an hour and I then had to wait around for a further four hours, a wait I really could have done without. I spent ages walking, what seemed like miles, looking for the cafe I visited during my last trip to Holbeach but could not find it and started to doubt what little sanity I have left. I later learned it had recently closed down!

My virus symptoms are manageable now but I still feel drained and try as I did, I could not get inspired. Tired with all the walking I finally took rest on a bench situated just outside of the church when an elderly woman asked if I minded her joining me. Hilda and I chatted for some time before she felt rested enough to continue along her way, it was a pleasure to spend time with her.
Once Hilda and I parted company I gave my small moleskin sketchbook one last tug from my bag, hoping something would catch my interest. When I realised nothing was going to attract me today I decided to simply sketch what was in front of me and get 'something' down on that cream sheet of paper.

I had just started my sketch of 'Butties', a sandwich bar across the road, when a woman walking her dog asked about my work. During our conversation I learned that Janet was also an artist and a writer. We chatted like old friends for quite some time and left with the promise to get in touch and perhaps even spend a sketch day together!

I finished colouring my sketch back at home this evening from memory which means it's probably inaccurate as my mind wasn't on top form at all today.

Hilda and Janet made my long wait bearable. The time they chose to share with me today lifted me and made an otherwise difficult and frustrating day something special to remember.
I am most grateful to them both - Thank you!

7 comments:

caseytoussaint said...

Sounds like a positive day, overall. You must be wonderful company, to make friends so easily. I know I always enjoy visiting your blog....

Anita Davies said...

Aww, bless you Casey, so pleased you enjoy your time here.

suzanne cabrera said...

Its so nice that this drawing will always be attached to the people you met. I love how drawing can open doors to conversation with strangers.

Anonymous said...

It was lovely to talk to you, Anita. Your sketches show the character of the local buildings perfectly! I have looked at your blog and gallery website, and I guess this reply is the proof! It was a pleasure to talk to you and your openness and enthusiasm for your work was an inspiration! Thank you.

Anonymous said...

You will always attract interesting people just when you need them. Dont forget you were there for a purpose - to make THEIR day brighter. Glad it wasnt such a drag you expected.

Joannie

Joan said...

What a nice unexpected way to pass the time while your truck was being serviced. People come into our lives for a reason. You got to meet some new people and did a sketch too. Sounds like a fairly good day.

Anonymous said...

I think you are a pretty positive person, and as such you tend to attract positive people. YOu must be very approachable. It's good that your day turned out well in the end amid the annoyance of such a long wait. I know I'm way behind in checking mail, but I hope you are recovered and feeling better.